Tin Soldier is the second novel with Jim Webb as a main character. (The first was Devils Pass, from the Seven Series; Jim Webb also appears in the novel Rock The Boat.) I suggest the story is for grade 5 and up, as is the following video. For Remembrance Day, or Veterans Day in the United States, I’m wondering if you wouldn’t mind trying this as a class:
1. listen to the original song, One Tin Soldier by The Original Caste
2. discuss what you think is the meaning of the song and the identity of the tin soldier in the song
3. watch this music video by going to this link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25TwJRd3zAc (This new version is by Jim Webb and is linked to the novel, Tin Soldier.)
4. discuss how you think the music video interprets the song and if it matches your meaning of the song
5. discuss whether you feel this music video is suitable for Remembrance Day (or Veteran’s Day in the United States)
6. send comments and questions to me about the song or the music video!
7. go to the ebook collection and download Tin Soldier to read on your own device. 🙂